Learn to Leverage Live Video Streaming at Your EventPosted on Nov 21, 2016 • 8:00 am No Comments
Social media giants, including Facebook and Twitter, have joined the live-streaming bandwagon. Why? Because this is where users are now digesting their content and, more important, they want to keep the user on their platform for as long as they possibly can.
Today’s blog will focus on the why, what and who of live-streaming and how meeting planners can integrate these tools into their next event.
- A recent study by Cisco predicts that 90 percent of all internet traffic will be in video format by the year 2019.
- Facebook reported that in 2015:
- It hosted 8 billion videos
- Video posted per user went up 95 percent in the U.S.
- Over 1 million video views occurred on Facebook 360, a virtual reality offering that works with Samsung Gear VR
- A study from Socialbakers found that Facebook is gaining ground on YouTube and that most brands aren’t publishing from YouTube to Facebook; rather, they opt to directly post via Facebook Live.
What Is Live Video Streaming?
From an app on a user’s smartphone or tablet, he or she can start to take live video and either allow the internet public to view it or restrict viewing to friends and followers. There’s no time limit on the streaming, and once completed, it can be archived to the user’s profile indefinitely or for 24 hours.
Who Are Some of the Live-Streaming Players?
- 156,000 users
- 92,000 broadcasts
- Periscope (part of Twitter):
- 10 million users
- 100 million broadcasts
- 350,000 live-streaming hours per day
- Video deleted after 24 hours
Periscope can automatically play on the user’s Twitter feed.
- Facebook Live allows users to post videos via their status updates:
- When recording, the user can make the video exclusive to their friends or open it to the public.
- During the recording, users can post reactions (like, love, sad, angry) that can be viewed by others.
- The person shooting the video can also add the hashtag #24Live, which means it will live on the live-streaming feed for 24 hours.
- Video will remain on the user’s timeline indefinitely.
- Facebook Live can also be recorded from company pages (if administrative rights are given), groups the user belongs to and events they’re participating in.
- 200 million users
- 100 million broadcasts daily
- 8 billion daily views
- Video deleted after 24 hours
- 71 percent of users are under 34 years old
- 70 percent are female
Snapchat now offers advertising that’s geared toward the 18- to 34-year-old demographic. Snap Ads always begin with an up-to-10-second vertical, full-screen video ad that appears in the context of other similar Snaps.
Benefits of Live-Streaming
- Remote users can feel like they’re part of the event action — they can have reactions and ask questions of the presenter on a real-time basis. They can also view the video from their mobile device, thus allowing greater event participation from non-traditional settings.
- Live-streaming allows an organization to:
- Showcase its company events and trade shows while they’re occurring
- Give users a behind-the-scenes look at a venue
- Enter into live Q&A sessions with local and remote users simultaneously
- If holding an event at a new venue, the event planner can showcase amenities, guest rooms and meeting space of the venue before the conference, allowing users to gain a perspective about the facility and its offerings.
- Long shelf life. It’s easy to repurpose live-streaming content by:
- Uploading it to YouTube
- Posting it on the website
- Writing a blog about it
- Splicing the video into 30-second snippets and sharing it on social media for several weeks
Live video streaming will continue to be a component of events and should be a part of any planner’s rollout strategy. In preparation for the big day, it’s vital the venue has enough bandwidth to serve all the attendees’ needs. Live video streaming can be a large burden on the Internet, so working with the on-site IT staff is vital to your success.
Kalahari Can Support Live-Streaming
With complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the facility and a razor-sharp IT staff to support it, Kalahari Resorts and Conventions is prepared to serve your meeting and event needs. Submit an RFP to start the process. We look forward to hosting your meeting and providing you with all the care you need to ensure a successful gathering.