We recently celebrated the 46th anniversary of Earth Day, which was estimated to be observed by over 200 million people in 141 countries around the globe. And while it may seem that one person, one meeting or one property cannot impact a global change, we at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions are committed to green operations year-round.
Kalahari Resorts engages in a variety of sustainable practices and offers ways to help you plan greener meetings and conventions at our facility.
Helpful Suggestions to Make Your Event Greener
- Eliminate swag or goody bags.
Rather than collecting tchotchkes from all the sponsors and exhibitors or buying promotional products, ask everyone to make a contribution toward a green cause.
- Work toward zero waste with your food and drink.
The easiest way to do this is to be vigilant about your RSVP process and understand the types of food and drink your attendees want. If your process cannot be that defined, try these two suggestions: work with Kalahari to see if there are other conventions or meetings going on at the facility that you can share ingredients with or order the same type of meals. In addition, find out the state’s health regulations and donate extra food to a food bank or homeless shelter.
- Organize part of your event outside.
Turn off the lights and shut down the computers and AV. Get out of the building and breathe the fresh air. Have a greater appreciation of nature and decompress from the day-to-day stressors we all experience.
- Hire a sustainable practices speaker.
Motivate your attendees with a presenter who can give them simple suggestions to be kinder to Mother Earth.
Earth Day comes once a year, but with the world focused on reducing greenhouse gases and improving our living conditions, we can all take simple steps to improve our work, home and world every day.
Kalahari Resorts’ Green Practices
Throughout Our Facilities
We use compact fluorescent bulbs in over 15,000 fixtures, saving 1 million kWh of energy per year.
- We have installed the AquaRecycle® system that allows us to reclaim and reuse 100 percent of our laundry wastewater. This system reduces water and sewer costs by 70 percent and energy costs by up to 50 percent.
- Kalahari Resorts also has an ozone laundry system for faster washing and drying, with fewer chemicals and less energy.
Food and Beverage
We partner with local landscapers to implement a food waste composting system.
- Our rooms are equipped with low-flow showerheads to reduce water consumption by more than 6 million gallons per year at each resort.
- Kalahari Resorts has partnered with Clean the World to divert over 65,000 pounds of soap and other toiletries to be distributed to families all over the world who are in need of hygiene kits, especially when these individuals are displaced from their homes.
- If you are staying at our hotel for multiple days, we ask our guests if they need a change in bedding and new towels each day. If the guest chooses to leave them, energy is saved and the materials last longer.
We have a solar hot water system that provides 11,800 therms per year of hot water to heat 60 percent of the water utilized by the resort.
- Our Texlon transparent roof allows natural light into the waterpark and helps keep the temperature warm inside year-round.
- Massive fans are installed in the waterparks to lower our heating costs by pushing warm air down to the floor level.
Kalahari Is Committed to Green
The staff at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions views Earth Day as part of our everyday practices. We are committed to help meeting planners further efforts to make their meetings greener. Please contact one of our group sales professionals at 855.411.4605 or email us at Groups@KalahariResorts.com for more information.